The airport of Malaga-Costa del Sol was born on 9 March 1919 when a plane that flew over the city looking to land, landed on a plot called "El Rompedizo".
In the plane, there was Pierre Latécoère who was looking for places in Spain to install different airfields. Its main goal was to establish a commercial airline that linked France with the French colonies located in Africa through Spain and later made the leap to South America.
In 1937, the airport of Malaga - Costa del Sol became an air base and where the schools of Crew, Observers, and Specialists of the air army are located.
In mid-1946, the airport opens to national and international traffic, thus becoming a customs airport.
From 1960, the airport of Malaga-Costa del Sol undergoes a radical change in the design of the airport with the configuration of a new terminal area in the geometric center. This area is located one and a half kilometers north of the existing terminal area where a new aircraft parking lot, the control tower, a power station, and a passenger terminal building are built.
The airport was renamed "El Rompedizo" or "García Morato" to be officially called Malaga-Costa del Sol airport in 2011 having undergone another change previously.
With the growth of traffic, a new terminal building was inaugurated in 1991, which is called "Pablo Ruiz Picasso" and is set up in two independent floors where passenger arrival and departure flows are differentiated.
In 1995, a car park connected by a tunnel with the basement of the remodeled passenger terminal is inaugurated to also host the rental services of vehicles without a driver and the old passenger building is restored becoming the general aviation terminal. In the north zone, a hangar for aircraft maintenance is built next to a freight terminal that opened in 1996.
In 1997, the parking lot of aircraft equipped with a fuel supply system through hydrants was expanded.
At the end of 2002, a new and modern control tower with the latest technologies is inaugurated and incorporates the “Victor” system that, through a console, visually presents all the necessary data and aims to facilitate the work and agility to the controller.
Due to the strong growth of tourism on the Costa del Sol and in order to meet the rapid increase in passengers, a new terminal building, a car park and the expansion of the flight field are constructed.
This new Terminal joins the existing ones, thus forming the so-called T1, T2 and T3 with capacity for more than 9000 passengers. This last terminal was inaugurated in March 2010.
In addition, there is a parking lot of 2500 seats, bus parking in the basement of the T3 with capacity for 50 vehicles and the train station of the Málaga-Fuengirola line.